Wondering how to build a profitable business in a world with LOADS of competition? Do you struggle with standing out from the crowd? Are you making strong, genuine connections with your ideal customers?
In this era of technology, competition is stiff! I’m not going to sugarcoat it. Now, more than ever, it’s critical to get clear on the why behind your business, your values and brand story, and then to connect with your ideal customers…outside of social media and e-commerce platforms like Etsy.
To go deeper into strategies for standing out and building connection, I’m so excited to introduce you to Tracy Matthews.
Tracy is a jewelry designer and entrepreneur mentor to creative visionaries and the host of the top rated Thrive by Design podcast. Her jewelry and her story has been featured in InStyle, Elle, US Weekly, Real Simple, Martha Stewart Weddings, Entrepreneur Women and on the Today Show she’s been interviewed on countless podcasts and programs as the Chief Visionary Officer of Flourish & Thrive Academy where she helps other jewelry brands launch, grow and scale profitable jewelry businesses.
In this episode, Tracy shares her best tips and advice for growing a profitable creative business. They are pearls of universal wisdom that can be applied to so many industries—whether it’s jewelry, photography, fine art, hairstylist, etc.
- [02:16] Tracy started a career in jewelry design in the 90s—pre-Etsy days!
- [03:55] Mentorship helped Tracy through the 2008 financial crisis, get clarity, and reinvent herself.
- [08:20] Bigger [company] isn’t always better.
- [10:23] Tracy decided to help bootstrapping jewelry designers via an online course—Flourish & Thrive Academy.
- [19:07] “If you don’t get people on your email list, you’re basically letting someone else run your business.” Tracy highlights the downsides of Etsy and the importance of having your own platform and your own email list.
- [21:50] To stand out from the crowd, Tracy uses the Desire Brand Effect methodology: creating desire, sharing desire, and the desire journey.
- [23:37] “You’re not selling to everyone. You’re selling to people who love you and they’re going to be the ones who want to keep buying from you over and over again.”
- [26:36] Tracy explains the layers of marketing for a jewelry brand designer and making the customer the hero of the story—you’re just the guide.
- [28:50] Get clarity about your core values, vision, and mission statement and turn it into your brand story.
- [31:09] Tracy talks about the importance of email marketing, especially in a time like now.
Rapid Fire Questions
What’s your favorite resource that helped you grow your business? Rocket Fuel*. Well, my favorite resource is really my boyfriend Jason Ayers because he’s brilliant and he helps business owners, especially visionaries like grow their companies. But not everyone has access to him.
What is something you’ve learned about yourself this last week? Resourcefulness goes a long way and you could do a lot more with less when you are really focused on that.
What’s the last book you read? I’m still kind of reading it, it’s called The Upside of Stress*, which I think is like really an important read right now with a lot of people feeling super stressed out. But the book is about how to use stress for your benefit to move forward in business and life.
*This is an affiliate link which means that I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. This helps me be able to produce free, valuable content for you. Thanks for your support!
Subscribe & Review
If you had an ah-ha! moment or learned just ONE new valuable bit of information, I’d be so grateful if you would leave a 5-star review and tell me what you love most about this podcast. It’s a HUGE motivator for me to keep creating this for you. In addition, it helps our raking in iTunes so that more people discover this show.
And to make sure you never miss an episode (including any pop-up bonus episodes), click here to subscribe on Apple iTunes!
- Tracy Matthews website
- Instagram: @tracymatthewsny
- Flourish & Thrive Academy helps jewelry brands launch, grow, and scale
- The Visionary Code – free audio recording
- Creatives Rule the World – platform for visionaries
- Your Jewelry Brand’s Brilliance Factor Quiz
- Emails That Sell Done For You Bundle
- Laying the Foundation Program
- SOS Coaching Program
- Thrive By Design Podcast
Episode 36: An Overview of Email Marketing
Episode 35: How to Create the Business You’ve Always Envisioned with Kelsey Murphy
Episode 40: Keys to a Great Pitch Email
Episode 3: My Story: From Side Hustle to Thriving Business
Episode 8: 5 of My Biggest Mistakes as an Entrepreneur