A surface pattern design Q&A with Jocelyn Sipowicz (aka Just Jos)! Jos is lifestyle print and product designer (and alum of Brand Plus Brand—my course on licensing that I co-teach with my agent, Julie Turkel!)
In her work with brands, she acts as a facilitator between other artists and the brand. So… listen up all you creatives aspiring to get into licensing—Jos lets us in on some insider tips! Julie and I were so excited to have her on the podcast to share with you her ideas for getting collection inspiration, building a library that attracts manufacturers (spoiler alert: it’s about diversifying!), and the themes she sees currently trending.
Related Post: How to Build Passive Income as an Artist
- [00:52] Jos shares her background in the world of product design and licensing.
- [05:23] Jos explains the facilitator role (the go-between company and artist).
- [06:43] She reveals her biggest takeaways after taking Brand Plus Brand.
- [10:09] One of the greatest joys of licensing can be seeing your designs on products that people buy and love.
- [13:41] Licensing helps you work harder and not smarter by reusing and repurposing designs for different products.
- [17:09] Jos explains from where she draws inspirations for collections—it starts with color!
- [22:19] Jos shares insider insights into considerations for creating assets for your library to present to manufacturers.
- [24:44] Currently trending: house plants, zen themes, self care themes.
Subscribe & Review
If you had an ah-ha! moment or learned just ONE new valuable bit of information, I’d be so grateful if you would leave a 5-star review and tell me what you love most about this podcast. It’s a HUGE motivator for me to keep creating this for you. In addition, it helps our raking in iTunes so that more people discover this show.
And to make sure you never miss an episode (including any pop-up bonus episodes), click here to subscribe on Apple iTunes!
Episode 60: How to Build Passive Income as an Artist
Episode 59: Informative Shopping Research with Julie Turkel
Episode 29: A 7-Figure Licensing Program?! How Dabney Lee Got Started in Licensing
Episode 27: The Designer/Agent Relationship and How It Works with Julie Turkel
Episode 13: A Chat With My Licensing Agent Julie Turkel