Informative shopping research (sometimes referred to as competitive research) in the world of licensing is KEY, especially when pitching your work to partner with your dream manufacturing brand or licensing agent.
Informative research helps you answer these questions and more:
What’s trending (even outside your industry)?
What manufacturers have licensing programs?
What kind of designers and/or artists are manufacturers working with?
What void is there in X brand’s product line design?
What void is there in X agent’s design roster?
How can I improve my library of work to catch the eye of a manufacturer/agent?
In this episode, my licensing agent and co-instructor for Brand Plus Brand is back to giver her insider tips on the why and what of informative research.
- [02:14] Informative shopping helps you to understand how you can be unique in the marketplace.
- [05:26] Impress with the pitch. Knowing what other designers that agents represent and knowing what artists already have licensing deals with your target manufacturers can inform you on where there might be a void and what you could offer that’s different.
- [08:16] You can browse stores and look at product labels to see examples manufacturers and licensing partners.
- [10:54] Aside from the list given in the Brand Plus Brand course, you can find search for agents to work with online or through events by licensing trade publications.
- [13:11] Julie gives tips for organizing your asset library—categories, trends, seasons, themes, etc.
- [16:38] Instagram is a great place to notice trends. (Tie Dye and affirmations are hugely popular right now!)
- [18:44] Trend forecasting isn’t just for within your industry. If you’re a watercolor artist, you can look at fashion, home decor, etc.
- [21:12] You can do informative shopping online by sleuthing on manufacturers websites and going down the research rabbit hole.
- [22:13] Having a robust, diverse library can be incredibly beneficial when pitching to manufacturers.
Subscribe & Review
If you had an ah-ha! moment or learned just ONE new valuable bit of information, I’d be so grateful if you would leave a 5-star review and tell me what you love most about this podcast. It’s a HUGE motivator for me to keep creating this for you. In addition, it helps our raking in iTunes so that more people discover this show.
And to make sure you never miss an episode (including any pop-up bonus episodes), click here to subscribe on Apple iTunes!
- Brand Plus Brand — our course on all things licensing
- Book a private consult with Julie
- Instagram: @iamjulieturkel
Episode 13: A Chat With My Licensing Agent Julie Turkel
Episode 27: The Designer/Agent Relationship and How It Works with Julie Turkel
Episode 29: A 7-Figure Licensing Program?! How Dabney Lee Got Started in Licensing
Bonus Episode: The Future of Licensing AC (after COVID) with Julie Turkel
Episode 6: Secrets to Recurring Revenue as an Artist