What is the future of licensing?
Is this a bad time to get into the licensing industry as a designer? What products are people buying now?
These are great question and ones that I got asked a couple of weeks ago. To really explore this topic with an insider’s perspective, I’m stoked to have my licensing agent Julie Turkel back on the show.
Julie has been in the licensing industry for 25+ years now (check out Episode 13 for more of her story). She is also my co-instructor for our course, Brand Plus Brand, all about starting a building a licensing business.
It’s fair to say that Julie knows a thing or two about trending categories, trending themes, when to pivot, and working with manufacturers and retailers to get your designs on products.
In this bonus episode, we talk about where it might be beneficial to focus your energy and time during this global pandemic to keep your licensing business moving forward. And yes, art is still very much alive.
- [03:01] Julie gives us an insider’s perspective at how the pandemic is impacting the licensing industry.
- [05:35] Current trending categories: PPE (personal protective equipment), home, wellness, and fitness.
- [10:00] You can use technology to get your work in front of people and also do good.
- [15:12] Julie shares her top tips for finding manufacturers without going to stores—from digital magazines to virtual conferences.
- [19:04] Julie does some trend forecasting for themes that designers can consider like positivity, spirituality, wellness, watercolor.
- [22:37] Pivoting your business doesn’t necessarily have to be a complete upheaval. Be mindful of trends, keep an open mind to opportunities, but art and design are not dead.
- [24:21] “Licensing is a work less, make more kind of business model.”
- [25:29] This is also a great time to diversify your platforms/products/channels and invest in yourself (i.e. professional and/or personal courses!)
Subscribe & Review
If you had an ah-ha! moment or learned just ONE new valuable bit of information, I’d be so grateful if you would leave a 5-star review and tell me what you love most about this podcast. It’s a HUGE motivator for me to keep creating this for you. In addition, it helps our raking in iTunes so that more people discover this show.
And to make sure you never miss an episode (including any pop-up bonus episodes), click here to subscribe on Apple iTunes!
- Brand Plus Brand – our licensing course
- Julie’s website
- Instagram: @iamjulieturkel
- Licensing Week Virtual – June 15-19, 2020
- Trade Magazines: License Mag, Home Furnishings News
Episode 13: A Chat with My Licensing Agent Julie Turkel
Episode 27: The Designer/Agent Relationship and How It Works with Julie Turkel
Episode 29: A 7-Figure Licensing Program?! How Dabney Lee Got Her Start in Licensing