Whether you’re new to watercolor or just new to landscapes, I have 4 general rules or principles to help you creating a beautiful piece.
It doesn’t matter if I’m painting a mountain, desert, jungle, or beach. I always apply these 4 rules (and a 5th bonus!) to get the beautiful, balanced piece I envision.
The 4 landscape principles
- Visualize and make note of the main elements with light sketches
- Tone and Values: Think about shadows, mid tones, highlights to get depth. Work backwards—light to dark.
- Consider composition so that it feels expansive.
- Add the right amount of detail for the emotion.
- Bonus: Think about balance with the elements and create a zig zag pattern of varying heights.
Music license acquired from Artlist
Links & Freebies
… and for even more tutorials, subscribe to my YouTube channel!
Join my Patreon community! You have a variety of fun options to choose from like:
- Watch my YouTube tutorials ad-free
- Get early access to the tutorials before they’re released on YouTube
- Patreon-exclusive tutorials
Head on over to Patreon to get all the fun details.