Being an influencer might not be what you think! In this episode, I invited my good friend—and one of my favorite people to follow on Instagram—to be on the show. It’s Jeannette Ogden from @shutthekaleup!
Jeannette’s account is all about nutrition, wellness, fitness, and mom-things. We talk about what it’s like to work with brands, how to get collabs, and some behind-the-scenes insights.
- [01:43] Jeannette explains how @shutthekaleup was born and where the name came from.
- [06:00] Jeannette does things differently than many influencers with regards to what she pays for and what she does with free stuff she’s sent.
- [08:37] With the kids, she’s usually only able to respond to 50% of the comments but her goal is to keep raising that number.
- [11:30] She started by buying and trying products, then posting about the things she loved and tagging the company. This led to them reposting and building her following.
- [17:15] Jeannette explains how to maintain integrity, honesty, and authenticity even when she has contracts with brands.
- [20:41] What an average day for Jeannette Ogden looks like.
- [24:32] Jeannette created a Sea Kale Mask together with Coco Kind (and she buys it herself).
- [28:31] She also just came out with a coffee collaboration with Vital Proteins.
- [36:24] The favorite part of her job is connecting with people.
- [37:14] Jeannette feels empowered when she talks about vulnerable topics and past struggles.
- [46:00] Jeannette discusses how she handles the negative commenters.
- [48:45] Instagram breaks can be refreshing and make time for some business planning and time with family/friends.
- [52:25] @shutthekaleup plans for 2021: More from her partnership with Adidas, recipes, workout videos, mom videos, and more.
Rapid Fire Questions
What is the best piece of advice you’ve ever been given?
A quote from my old chiropractor [Dr. Mike]. And it’s basically telling me to not live my life in fear because of anyone’s opinions of me. Like continue to do what you do regardless of what anyone says. That was, that has literally stuck with me. And as hard as it is being on social media, especially during 2020, I really can’t.
What is something you learned about yourself this past week?
To take time off.
Subscribe & Review
If you had an ah-ha! moment or learned just ONE new valuable bit of information, I’d be so grateful if you would leave a 5-star review and tell me what you love most about this podcast. It’s a HUGE motivator for me to keep creating this for you. In addition, it helps our raking in iTunes so that more people discover this show.
And to make sure you never miss an episode (including any pop-up bonus episodes), click here to subscribe on Apple iTunes!
- Instagram: @shutthekaleup
- Cocokind x @shutthekaleup Sea Kale Clay Mask
- Vital Proteins x @shutthekaleup Coffee
Episode 9: Tips for Overcoming Imposter Syndrome
Episode 53: Simple & Effective Instagram Strategies with Hairstylist Jamie Dana
Episode 56: Mom & CEO: Can You Be Both?
Episode 70: 3 Truths About Mental Illness and Being an Entrepreneur
Episode 66: 3 Mindset Shifts Every Creative Needs to Make