Struggling with saying no?
Today’s topic is something that’s very near and dear to my heart. It’s about a super powerful two-letter word (N-O) that most of us struggle with saying.
Whether it’s a flashy job, a client revision, or someone who steps on our boundaries, it can be difficult to say no to people without feeling guilty.
In my experience, it boils down to a problem with people-pleasing. Our desire to make others happy can blur boundaries in both our professional and personal lives.
If you struggle to say no, you’re not alone. In this episode, I’m giving you my 4 steps to help you confidently make decisions and 3 ways to actually say it nicely. I want to help you to be better at how to say no to people, how to say no without guilt, how to get clear about your boundaries, and how to listen to your gut.
Little gems of wisdom
- [03:00] Your time and energy is something to put value on—including monetary value.
- [03:49] My 4 steps for helping you make a decision. Step 1: Check in with what your gut is telling you.
- [05:00] Step 2: Flip a coin. When you see the result, notice your immediate gut reaction—relief or disappointment?
- [06:34] Step 3: If you had a million dollars in the bank account, would you say yes?
- [07:30] Step 4: Get clear on your non-negotiables and determine if saying yes interferers with those non-negotiables.
- [08:09] These are my 3 go-to ways for how to say no nicely and professionally.
- [10:00] Do some reflective journaling to get clear on your goals and boundaries.
- [12:28] These exercises can also be applied to your personal life because your personal boundaries will also affect how you show up as a business leader.
Journal Prompts Exercise
What was your favorite business experience in 2019?
What felt easy?
What felt hard?
What did you love creating, working on, putting out into the world?
What do you NEVER want to do again?
What do you want to change (or fix) in your business?
What are your goals for this year?
Subscribe & Review
If you had an ah-ha! moment or learned just ONE new valuable bit of information, I’d be so grateful if you would leave a 5-star review and tell me what you love most about this podcast. It’s a HUGE motivator for me to keep creating this for you. In addition, it helps our raking in iTunes so that more people discover this show.
And to make sure you never miss an episode (including any pop-up bonus episodes), click here to subscribe on Apple iTunes!
Episode 16: 5 Steps to Create Your Annual Promo Calendar
Episode 2: How to Make 2020 Your Best Year Yet
Episode 3: My Story: From Side Hustle to Thriving Business
Episode 12: Pricing Woes? The Formula for Developing YOUR Price
Episode 20: Social Media Boundaries to Adopt to Protect Your Mental Health