The importance of curiosity and creativity has never been outlined more effectively than in my interview with Brit Morin. Have you ever been curious to try and learn a new creative skill? Pick up cooking or watercolor?
If so, what’s stopping you?
I have heard SO many people tell me, “I just wish I was creative.” OR “I don’t have a creative bone in my body!”
Well guess what? We are ALL creative. It’s literally a part of our DNA! And since I know Brit Morin shares this same passion of igniting people’s inner creative voice, I am super excited to have her on the show!
Brit Morin is the co-founder and CEO of Brit+Co—a lifestyle brand and online learning company. They provide content, products and experiences geared towards young women with a creative DIY spirit. Brit+Co has an engaged community of over 125 million women and over 200,000 online class enrollments.
Here’s a snippet of her resume…
Brit has been awarded various accolades including Ad Week’s Creative 100, Forbes 30 Under 30, Fortune’s Most Promising Women Entrepreneurs, Refinery 29’s 30 under 30, one of Parent Magazine’s Most Influential Millennial Moms, and one of Elle magazine’s American women at 30.
Brit is also the author of the bestselling book Homemakers: A Domestic Handbook for the Digital Generation. She is a regular lifestyle expert on Good Morning America, The Today Show, Live with Kelly and Ryan, Rachel Ray and more. She’s also a board member of both Girl Scouts USA and Life360.
In this episode, we talk about Brit’s experience in product development and marketing roles at Google and Apple and why she pivoted to create her own business (inspired by keyword research!). Her interests include tech, storytelling, design, women photography, the great outdoors and just about any creative project she can get her hands on.
What do I love most about Brit (besides her sweet personality)? She is always learning something new, staying curious, and staying creative. Let’s look over some snippets from today’s interview on the importance of curiosity and creativity!
- [03:59] Brit’s career started in Silicon Valley at Apple and Google where she realized that how-to search queries were always the top search queries but the content quality was lacking. That’s when Brit+Co was born.
- [06:26] From her experience at YouTube, Brit knew that “content could create an audience and if you had a large enough audience that trusted you, you could ultimately direct them to other types of products.”
- [10:59] In a survey, 76% of adult women say they’re not creative, but Brit argues that we make a million creative decisions every day and Brit+Co would help women find and believe that creative spark inside.
- [13:29] Brit explains the inspiration—and vulnerability—behind her popular “Give It a Week” challenges.
- [18:37] “The repetition of failure is what’s going to make you stronger.“
- [20:45] Brit is excited about this new creative Renaissance that’s about to happen because history shows that amazing art comes out of times of recession.
- [22:30] Art can help calm your nervous system and can be an effective therapeutic modality.
- [24:52] Brit wears multiple hats as CEO of Brit+Co.
- [28:46] Brit’s new podcast, Teach Me Something New, brings experts on the show to teach listeners practical and fun uses of a skill in under an hour.
Subscribe & Review
If you had an ah-ha! moment or learned just ONE new valuable bit of information, I’d be so grateful if you would leave a 5-star review and tell me what you love most about this podcast. It’s a HUGE motivator for me to keep creating this for you. In addition, it helps our raking in iTunes so that more people discover this show.
And to make sure you never miss an episode (including any pop-up bonus episodes), click here to subscribe on Apple iTunes!
- Brit’s Podcast: Teach Me Something New
- Homemakers: A Domestic Handbook for the Digital Generation by Brit Morin
- Instagram: @britandco and @brit
- Facebook: Brit+Co
- Twitter: Brit+Co
- Pinterest: Brit
- Tech Talk
- Jenna Rainey classes on Brit + Co: Watercolor Plants + Succulents and Digitize Artwork in Illustrator
Episode 35: How to Create the Business You’ve Always Envisioned with Kelsey Murphy
Episode 5: What No One Tells You About Being Your Own Boss
Episode 2: How to Make 2020 Your Best Year Yet
Episode 3: My Story: From Side Hustle to Thriving Business
Episode 17: From Angel Investor to Letterpress Guru: Being a Multi-Passionate Entrepreneur