Handling high maintenance clients is part of the the not-so-fun side of business. Let’s admit it.
I’m talking about those people that cross boundaries, are impossible to please, email you at 3am or call you nonstop outside business hours.
Can you relate? While these scenarios tend to be rare, they do happen—whether you’re a stationery designer, graphic designer, custom crafter, hair stylist, or photographer. High maintenance clients are unavoidable!
In this episode, I’m sharing my 5 tips you can take to prevent unpleasant scenarios from escalating (and manage them professionally if they do come up), and protect yourself…all with the end goal of giving the best experience possible.
Little Pearls of Wisdom
- [02:42] Tip 1: Ask yourself: Did you prescreen the client and listen to your gut?
- [04:59] Tip 2: Was the job scope properly defined? Use project management tools.
- [06:05] Tip 3: Establish boundaries and enforce them.
- [08:52] Tip 4: Do some undercover work and probing questions to understand what the client needs.
- [10:09] Tip 5: It’s all about the best possible client experience.
- [14:14] Firing a client is rare, but sometimes needed—be firm and always point back to the contract.
Subscribe & Review
If you had an ah-ha! moment or learned just ONE new valuable bit of information, I’d be so grateful if you would leave a 5-star review and tell me what you love most about this podcast. It’s a HUGE motivator for me to keep creating this for you. In addition, it helps our raking in iTunes so that more people discover this show.
And to make sure you never miss an episode (including any pop-up bonus episodes), click here to subscribe on Apple iTunes!
- Pen to Press — my course about stationery design
Episode 22: How to Handle Client Criticism
Episode 8: 5 of My Biggest Mistakes as an Entrepreneur
Episode 20: Social Media Boundaries to Adopt to Protect Your Mental Health
Episode 26: 3 of My Workshop Nightmare Stories
Episode 7: How I Grew a Six-Figure Stationery Business